Saturday 16 May 2009

SPLASH!

Daryl Hannah in the classic man-mermaid love story Splash. What do you mean you don't remember it...?

According to fellow blogger, thegayte-keeper, this very blog gives you something "that cannot be matched." Apparently, I am also "a leader and one that isn't afraid to challenge the majority..."

Thank you, TG-K, for the illustrious Splash Award, and in keeping with the tradition, I shall present a few of my own. The rules are as follows, so if you find yourself on this list, then do as you're told, you bunch of reprobates: -

1) Put the logo on your blog post. I haven't done this, since I can't find it. Someone help with this!

2) Nominate up to 9 other blogs which "allure, bewitch, impress or inspire you".

3) Link your nominees.

4) Let them know by linking your award as a comment on their blog.

5) Link the person who awarded you.

So, without much further ado, here goes: -

the ka-os blog
So good, he's been splashed twice! TG-K describes him as "a soldier" for butting heads with him "on more than one occasion". I knew the author long before I began to read his blog, and he is a part inspiration for my own recordings. Agree or disagree with his views, he certainly promotes debate. This award is twofold: thanking him for being a good friend throughout the last few years, and helping me on more occasions than he knows - nor would I care to admit. He also loves Doctor Who...

Therapy Writing 101
Actually a sister blog to Dusty Boot's The Other Side Of..., this blog has to be read to be believed. Actually, I still don't believe some of the things written here. An amazing and extremely personal exploration into the author's past, Dusty opens up to his therapist, and now the vast internet public, and charts his history of abuse and victimisation. It's a wonder the man's still here. Dusty: I barely know you, but I'm very proud of you (not that you need my pride, of course).

Don Diego
I only began reading this blog a few weeks ago, when I found a well-written article written as a reaction to Eve Sedgewick's death. Since then, I've been following his updates, and I'm certain every reader wil quickly realise that this man is highly intelligent, extremely capable of intellectual analysis. He's the kind of person I'd instantly latch on to and call a friend if we were to meet at university; and I'm a little in awe of his astute awareness. Go read!

SGL Café
Like Don Diego, I have only recently begun to read this blog, but every time I check his posts, I smile. Funny and intelligent, I'd definitely recommend to anyone looking for commentary on contemporary gay lifestyle in the Western world. He is also a writer, and, judging by ka-os's review, a pretty good one, too.

Limited Means
Boy, does this man ramble! It's all measured, salient stuff, though. His self-observations are most enlightening, too...

Tim in Nanyuki

Effectively, an open copycat exercise, my friend Tim went away to Kenya for three months. Back home, now, but his experiences as a young British white middle-class student living it up in the ex-colony is very interesting. No photos, unfortunately, but there is plenty of detailed description...

There you have it. My recommended reading. Speaking of which, I really should get on with studying for exams and essays, soon... Enough of this wanky self-appreciation, now!

7 comments:

  1. And by the way, the "splash" logo is here:
    http://illkeepyouposted.typepad.com/ill_keep_you_posted/2009/04/im-always-talking-about-other-people-and-how-i-feel-they-areso-prone-to-put-me-in-a-box-what-happens-when-i-box-myself-up-a.html

    Not the naked man, but read a bit further down, you'll see a blue/purple mermaid logo. That's the one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops sorry that's a really long URL. Here's the short version:
    http://tinyurl.com/qoo6qu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the kind words but I don't KNOW 9 bloggers. I only read like 2 or 3.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You forgot to mention I'm an alcoholic.

    (And I love Splash).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finally a response.

    Thanks a lot for the mention. I really appreciate it and I really will try not to ramble on but I don't think I actually like getting involved in this kind of viral blog recognition thing. It's just too difficult for me. There is too much thought given about who should be on the list and who shouldn't be there and why does one person make it this day but not tomorrow. I'm not saying I don't like the recognition though or even recognizing anyone else but this chain mail thing sort of upsets me.

    Thanks again though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Curious - I totally agree, I'm just a fat little sheep who'll follow the crowd. I only didn't add the rest since they update less frequently...

    The rest of you - You're welcome!

    ReplyDelete