Saturday 25 July 2009

Video Nice, Video Nasty

This Week: (Barely) Digestible Philosophical Comedy

Ah, Monty Python! I won't even begin to try and explain Python - partly because I'll never be clever enough to fully understand it, myself.

One of my earliest memories of Python is of their fourth film Monty Python's The Meaning of Life. Admittedly not the usual favourite, often cited as the one that went too far, but maybe because this was my first contact with them I have a special fondness for the film.

This week's clip was a toss up, but I eventually chose this one for the final verse of the song. Watch, listen, enjoy...



BONUS: Here's the other clip. Always brings a smile to my face, this mini-feature (part two here).


4 comments:

  1. oh my. the old men are evil! i liked the bit when they were rowing the boat and being whipped. i zoned out of the first one, i was on msn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, The Meaning of Life was my 1st Python movie too. Well maybe the only Python movie that I've seen. I think I had to watch it like 2 or 3 times over the years to actually understand what was going on. Even now I marvel at how they were able to see how young number crunchers and corporate greed would be downfall of many venerable institutions and society as a whole. And as I get older I am convinced that the last line of the Galaxy Song about intelligence being "bugger all down here on Earth," is so true they should have been given a Nobel Prize for line alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I abhor Monty Python without having ever watched it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stupendous - Lieten again to the first one. It may be just numbers and figures, but the point is still valid.

    Curious - SNAP! You get what I was on about! Thank you.

    Diego - Why?

    ReplyDelete