Wednesday 22 July 2009

Film Review: Brüno

Sacha Baron Cohen in Larry Charles's Brüno (2009)

I like Sacha Baron Cohen; really, I do. However, as much as I hate to be a Negative Nancy, I must ask myself why I went to watch this film. Sure, there were laughs, but it wasn't that funny, overall.

After paying 6€ to see a film for which I thought I'd got free tickets (turns out there's only one participating cinema chain with the promotion in the entire city of Madrid), and settling down for an hour-and-a-half of what I hoped would be some cut-throat satire, I walked out of the building wishing I'd stayed at home and not bothered. Like I say, it wasn't that the film was bad - I wasn't even offended, since most of the time I was playing the "fake or real" guessing game - it just wasn't funny enough for me to want to go and pay for it.

Borat was better.

3 comments:

  1. Movie tickets are such rip-offs. They're 12 bucks here. But Star Trek was worth it. Still not sure about Harry Potter... yet. Definitely wouldn't pay $12 to watch Brüno.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm waiting to get hold of the bootleg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dusty - I wouldn't pay $12 for any film, but I'm tight like that.

    Stupendous - I wouldn't even pay for that, or even waste time downloading. Just wait until it's on YouTube and watch the best clips.

    ReplyDelete